APPLICATION OF THIS POLICY
The ABMI may, from time to time, revise this Policy to reflect changes in our privacy procedures and post the revised version of the Policy on this Website. The ABMI reserves the right to modify the Policy at any time without prior notice. Upon posting on this Website, the revised Policy will come into effect.
"Personal Information" means information about an identifiable individual (e.g. name, address, telephone, fax number and e-mail address). This does not include information of an aggregate or anonymous nature where a specific individual or individuals cannot be identified, nor does it include business contact information used to contact an individual in their capacity as an employee or official of an organization.
COLLECTION, USE & DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
1) The ABMI may collect, use and disclose information, including Personal Information, provided by individuals to us by email, online forms or other means (subject to our Consent Policy set out below), in order to fulfill the objectives and mandate of the ABMI, which involves:
(a) Collecting and producing data and information on the state of Alberta's biodiversity;
(b) Providing services and information to the public on Alberta's biodiversity; and
(c) Such other purposes consistent with the foregoing purposes.
2) While you should be aware that most web servers do collect some information about visitors, such as the browser and version you are using, your operating system, and your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, which may identify your Internet Service Provider or computer but normally not the person using it, simply visiting our Website does not result in our collecting any Personal Information from you. If you visit the Website and you permit "cookies", then the ABMI only has the means to track your use of the Website and the ABMI has no means to determine who you are unless you provide your Personal Information.
3) See the documentation provided with your Internet browser for more information on cookies and how to disable them; however, please note that it may not be possible to utilize certain services available through the Website if cookies are rejected.
4) The ABMI may collect, use and disclose aggregate or anonymous information for purposes of analyzing traffic to and within this Website, improving the experience of users of this Website and related business purposes.
5) If you are accessing the Website through your mobile device, the ABMI may collect, use and disclose information regarding your location ("Location Information") through device-based location services. Your approximate location is determined using information from local Wi-Fi networks, and is collected in a manner that doesn’t personally identify you.
1) It is the ABMI’s policy to collect, use and disclose Personal Information only with consent, either express or implied, of the individual to whom the Personal Information pertains. Further, the ABMI does not share Personal Information with third parties without the consent of the individual to whom the Personal Information pertains.
2) If you choose to voluntarily submit Personal Information to us by e-mail, online forms or other means, we will consider that you have done so with your consent for purposes reasonably related to your providing the information. If we have your express or implied consent to do so, after our initial response, we may communicate further with you with information that may be useful, but we will include instructions on how to terminate receiving such further information.
3) Location information will not be shared publicly; however, third parties can submit requests for specific locations to support legitimate research needs. Requests will be evaluated by the ABMI before releasing location information. Those accessing location information will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
4) Please note that there are circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of Personal Information may be justified or permitted or where the ABMI is obliged to disclose information without consent, such as where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal.
5) You may refuse to provide Personal Information to us. You may also refuse to provide consent to the use of your Personal Information by us. Further, you may ask us about your Personal Information and notify us of any corrections that may be necessary. You may also withdraw any consent you have given us at any time, subject to applicable legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice.
While the ABMI makes reasonable efforts to maintain the security of Personal Information in its custody or control, please be advised that the Internet and e-mail are inherently unsecure media, the ABMI accepts no liability for the security or privacy of Personal Information in transit over the Internet.
1) Please note that the Website may contain links to other websites ("Linked Sites"). The Linked Sites are maintained by independent parties over which the ABMI has no control. Linked Sites will be governed by the Linked Site's own privacy policies and practices. This includes social networking sites whose content is partially or entirely contributed to by the ABMI, including the ABMI's Facebook Page, Twitter Account, Vimeo Channel, LinkedIn Account and Instagram Account (collectively, the "ABMI Social Media Accounts").
This policy was last updated October 31st, 2019.