Data on this website have been created by the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute (ABMI) Science Team; the team integrated the information, ran the analyses, and created the website content. Throughout this process, the ABMI collaborated with a variety of institutions, organizations and individuals to develop predictive species/habitat modelling in Alberta. These collaborations were essential at all steps of the process of generating the content for this website.
We thank many present and past members of the ABMI who helped in building the conceptual foundations of the cumulative effects monitoring framework (Burton et al. 2014) and the dose-response-type intactness modelling (Nielsen et al. 2007, Lamb et al. 2009).
Remotely Sensed & Geospatial Information
- Human Footprint Base Layer Database: ESRD
- Cutblock layer: ESRD and Foothills Research Institute (FRI)
- GoA SPOT imagery (1999-2013): ESRD
- VALTUS imagery: ESRD
- IRS imagery: ESRD
- Alberta Merged Wetland Inventory: ESRD
- Primary Land and Vegetation Inventory (PLVI): ESRD
- Grassland Vegetation Inventory (GVI): ESRD
- Alberta Vegetation Inventory (AVI): ESRD
- Diana Stralberg (University of Alberta) interpolated climate data to be used in modeling
- Scott Nielsen (University of Alberta) provided GIS layers on topography and enduring features in Alberta
Bird Point Counts
Information from ABMI bird point counts was combined with information from other organizations and individuals:
Mammal Winter Track Counts
Information from ABMI winter track counts were combined with information from other individuals:
- Dr. Erin Bayne (University of Alberta)
- Dr. Stan Boutin (University of Alberta)
Vascular Plant Plots
We incorporated information from ABMI vascular plant plots.
We incorporated information from ABMI bryophyte plots.
We incorporated information from ABMI lichen plots.
Mite Soil Cores
We incorporated information from ABMI mite soil cores.
Burton, C., Huggard, D., Bayne, E., Schieck, J., Sólymos, P., Muhly, T., Farr, D. & Boutin, S., 2014. A framework for adaptive monitoring of the cumulative effects of human footprint on biodiversity. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 186, 3605–3617.
Lamb, Eric G., Erin Bayne, Gillian Holloway, Jim Schieck, Stan Boutin, Jim Herbers, Diane L. Haughland, Indices for monitoring biodiversity change: Are some more effective than others?, Ecological Indicators, 9, 432–444.
Nielsen, S.E., E.M. Bayne, J. Schieck, J. Herbers, S. Boutin, A new method to estimate species and biodiversity intactness using empirically derived reference conditions. Biological Conservation, 137, 403–414.