Summer Field Technologists (up to 40 Positions)
Posted Date: Dec 13, 2021
Application Deadline: Feb 27, 2022
InnoTech Alberta is a key component of Alberta’s innovation system; its talented and experienced team of experts offers a wide range of applied research and development technologies and services. InnoTech Alberta is partnering with the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute (ABMI); an arms-length, value-neutral, scientific organization that measures and reports on the health of Alberta’s Biodiversity. The ABMI conducts world-class biodiversity monitoring of more than 2000 species and habitats throughout Alberta. Together, these organizations are seeking up to 40 qualified summer Field Technologists to survey terrestrial and/or aquatic biodiversity indicators.
- Field data collection to support baseline Ecosystem Health Monitoring or the Oil Sands Monitoring project (forest stand, soil, mammal/bird monitor collection, plants, wetlands, ground truthing, etc.)
Work is done in groups of two throughout Alberta, sometimes up to 500 m from a partner, often in bear country. Data collection can be physically demanding, weather uncooperative, wildlife encounters likely, and insects persistent. All technical training and certifications are provided.
For more information about this position please visit:
- Possession of or working toward a degree or diploma in biology, natural resources, forestry or a related field
- Previous related field work experience
- Ability to endure long days, flexible work plans, challenging conditions, and rigorous fieldwork
- Experience with some or all of the following: GPS, compass, navigation, 4X4, ATV, aerial image interpretation, working around helicopters, backcountry camping
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- A good attitude and a sense of humour
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Drivers License or equivalent
- Eligible to work in Canada or currently in possession of a work permit
Skills in boreal, grassland, alpine, or aquatic plant identification are an asset!
These are temporary 4-month positions (Beginning of May – August 2022). Food allowance, accommodation and transportation in the field are provided. Minimum starting salary is $2800 per month and is commensurate with number of seasons experience with the ABMI, qualifications, and specific demands of the position.
How to Apply
Please visit https://alberta-biodiversity-monitoring-institute.breezy.hr/ to apply. Please submit your resume and cover letter as one word or pdf document using the online application system. Resumes submitted by other means will not be considered. Please be aware that you will be asked to present a drivers abstract should you be offered a position and you may be asked to record a short video.
Application Deadline: February 27
The final candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance. All interviewees must be able to meet the requirement specified in the Physical Demands Analysis. This document will be supplied during the interview process to the successful candidate. InnoTech Alberta is committed to taking reasonable measures to protect the health and safety of Employees in the workplace. To protect Employees and the workplace during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Corporation requires Employees to be fully vaccinated.
InnoTech Alberta is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.