2021 Summer Field Technologists (34 Positions)
Posted Date: Dec 9, 2020
Application Deadline: Feb 28, 2021
Innotech Alberta and the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute are seeking up to 34 qualified summer Field Technologists to survey terrestrial and/or aquatic biodiversity indicators.
InnoTech Alberta is a key component of Alberta’s innovation system; its talented and experienced team of experts offers a wide range of applied research and development technologies and services. InnoTech Alberta is partnering with the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute (ABMI); an arms-length, value-neutral, scientific organization that measures and reports on the health of Alberta’s Biodiversity. The ABMI conducts world-class biodiversity monitoring of more than 2000 species and habitats throughout Alberta. Together, these organizations are seeking up to 34 qualified summer Field Technologists to survey terrestrial and/or aquatic biodiversity indicators.
- Field data collection (forest stand, soil, birds, plants, wetlands, etc.)
- Sorting and identifying collected specimens (moss, lichen, and invertebrates)
Work is done in groups of two throughout Alberta, sometimes up to 500 m from a partner, often in bear country. Data collection can be physically demanding, weather uncooperative, wildlife encounters likely, and insects persistent. All technical training and certifications are provided.
For more information about this position please visit:
- Possession of or working toward a degree or diploma in biology, natural resources, forestry or a related field
- Previous related field work experience
- Ability to endure long days, challenging conditions, and rigorous fieldwork
- Experience with some or all of the following: GPS, compass, navigation, 4X4, ATV, aerial image interpretation, working around helicopters, backcountry camping
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- A good attitude and a sense of humour
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Drivers License or equivalent
- Eligible to work in Canada or currently in possession of a work permit
- Skills in boreal, grassland, alpine, or aquatic plant identification are an asset!
These are temporary 4-month positions (Beginning of May – August 31, 2021). Food allowance, accommodation and transportation in the field are provided. Minimum starting salary is $2750 per month and is commensurate with number of seasons experience with the ABMI, qualifications and specific demands of the position.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter as one word or pdf document using the online application system. Resumes submitted by other means will not be considered. Please be aware that you will be asked to present a drivers abstract should you be offered a position and you may be asked to record a short video.
Application deadline: February 28, 2021
InnoTech Alberta is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.