Bioacoustic Unit Wildlife Technician Positions
Posted Date: Feb 9, 2021
Application Deadline: Feb 28, 2021
When: May – July 31 with possibility of extension until Aug 31, 2021
Where: Boreal and foothills regions of Alberta
Salary: $2800 – $3200 / month (dependent on experience)
Duties: Technicians will be working with acoustic recording technology to survey vocalizing animals and species-at-risk in the boreal and foothills regions of Alberta. Other duties include but are not limited to the following: equipment maintenance and preparation, data entry and interpretation of audio recordings. Applicants should be physically fit, independent, self-starters, problem-solvers, show attention to detail and have good morale.
Applicants must be able to endure:
- Off-trail hiking (5-10 km/day) on unstable ground, steep slopes and in wetlands
- Carrying heavy loads (up to 40 lbs.)
- Inclement weather, biting insects, and early mornings (dawn)
- Working alone in remote conditions
Applicants with the following experiences and abilities will be preferred:
- A minimum of 1 year of experience working in remote conditions
- Ability to sustain camp life for long periods (cooking, cleaning, etc.)
- Experience driving 4×4 trucks, trailer hauling, and driving ATVs
- Ability to navigate using compass, maps, and GPS
- Data entry using MS Office products
Applicants with the following additional assets will be preferred for a point count project:
- A minimum of 2 years experience conducting point counts in the boreal forest of Alberta
- Successful applicants must pass an aural+visual boreal songbird exam
Accommodations & Schedule: Accommodations in the field (rustic camps), food, and travel to field sites will be provided. Applicants must provide their own accommodations in Edmonton during field preparation days and days off. Applicants can expect to spend long periods of time in the field and those with flexible schedules will be preferred.
Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three references to email@example.com by February 28th, 2021.