Executive Director—Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute
Posted Date: Jun 21, 2019
Application Deadline: Jul 19, 2019
The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute is seeking an Executive Director (contract position) to take the organization into the next phase of its operations.
Are you a dynamic and positive leader looking to play a role in supporting Alberta’s environmental monitoring? The Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute in Edmonton, AB, is seeking an Executive Director (contract position) to take the organization into the next phase of its operations.
The right candidate will work with partner organizations, senior government officials, funders, industry representatives, conservation groups, Indigenous Communities, and policy makers to advance biodiversity monitoring. You will nurture and navigate relationships with and between each of those partners, stakeholders, and Indigenous Communities, and will bring a solid reputation for success in this field.
The successful candidate will be the leader and public face of the organization, setting organizational direction, anticipating issues and overseeing operational performance, to ensure its mission and vision are achieved.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- You have led a geographically dispersed team towards strategic goals, and you influence with ease; you understand how to mentor, guide, and lead others.
- Both external stakeholders as well as your own staff respect your style.
- Your experience with a similarly structured organization – reporting to a Board or a senior leadership team – will be critical to the success of this non-profit Executive Director role.
- Ideally, you bring experience in non-profit funding and are comfortable working with variable revenue streams, private and public funding agencies, and project revenue management.
- You are ready to take on the challenge of leading a growing organization that is considered a national and international leader in biodiversity monitoring.
- You are excited by the prospect of anticipating emerging needs in the changing world of environmental monitoring.
- You are ready to engage with an experienced and strategic Board of Directors and to develop the staff and consultant resources necessary to continue achieving the organization’s goals.
The Executive Director is responsible for:
- Leading the organization in pursuit of its mission.
- Establishing and maintaining strategic partnerships.
- Developing and securing financial resources to support current and increasing operations.
- Leading the development and implementation of strategic business plans and ensuring alignment with short-term and long-term goals, including multi-year budget projections.
- Working closely with the Board of Directors and being an effective link between the Board and the staff who are responsible for implementation.
- Ensuring that the appropriate structures, systems, resources and infrastructure are available to achieve the strategic business plans.
- Ensuring that ABMI staff and contractors work in an inclusive, rewarding and non-discriminatory environment that enables them to excel.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A post-graduate degree, ideally in environmental sciences; an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Eight or more years of recent, related leadership experience where negotiations, stakeholder relations, intuition and influence with senior political and industry officials are the focus of your work and key to your success.
- A demonstrable record of diversifying funding streams and leveraging assets.
- Extensive experience working in a large, complex, multi-faceted environment.
- A proven track record of effective staff supervision, team management and results-driven leadership.
- Strong organizational and self-direction abilities, including planning, delegation, and program development, completing tasks on time and on budget.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills along with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to engage with and influence a wide range of individuals.
- A passion for and knowledge of natural resource management.
- A track record of partnering with other organizations to further the mandate.
About the ABMI:
The ABMI is a membership-based, non-profit organization advancing an independent, scientifically credible, relevant and accessible, and transparent approach to biodiversity monitoring that informs policy and decision-making for natural resource managers in Alberta.
Our Mission: “We track changes in Alberta’s wildlife and their habitats from border to border, and provide ongoing, relevant, scientifically credible information on Alberta’s living resources. For Alberta’s land-use decision makers. For Albertans.”
We operate using a distributed delivery model, with staff located at each of our partner organizations: the University of Alberta, University of Calgary, InnoTech Alberta and the Royal Alberta Museum. Their collaboration is integral to the ABMI’s success.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to email@example.com with a resume and covering letter that includes your salary expectations and indicates how your skills and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted following acknowledgement of applications.