The ABMI surveys 1656 randomly selected sites across Alberta, spaced approximately 20 km apart.
At each ABMI site, both land and wetland surveys are conducted.
The ABMI surveys all land types in Alberta including:
- Public and recreational lands
- Industry lands (energy, forestry and agricultural)
- Private rural lands and grazing leases
- First Nation and Metis lands
- Provincial and federal protected areas
- Urban and municipal lands
Surveying all land types in Alberta allows us to identify the relationships between human land use and biodiversity. It also lets us track Alberta’s changing biodiversity and landscapes.