Wildlife Technician Positions
Posted Date: Jan 9, 2018
Application Deadline: Feb 28, 2018
The Bioacoustic Unit, a collaboration between the Bayne Lab at the University of Alberta and the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute (ABMI), is seeking 6-8 skilled technicians for work in the spring and summer of 2018.
When: April 1 – July 31, 2018
Where: Boreal forest of Alberta
Salary: $2700 – $3000 / month (dependent on experience)
Who can apply: Canadian citizens only
Technicians will be working with acoustic recording technology to survey rare animals and species-at-risk in the boreal forest of Alberta. Other duties include but are not limited to: equipment maintenance and preparation, data entry, interpretation of audio recordings, and installation of survey equipment for water and temperature sampling. Applicants should be independent, self-starters, problem-solvers, show attention to detail and have good morale.
Applicants must be able to endure:
- Off-trail hiking (5-10 km/day) on unstable ground and in wetlands
- Carrying heavy loads (up to 40 lbs.)
- Inclement weather, biting insects, and early mornings
- Working alone in remote conditions
Applicants with the following experiences and abilities will be preferred:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working in remote conditions
- Ability to sustain camp life for long periods (cooking, cleaning, etc.)
- Experience driving 4x4 trucks, trailer hauling, and driving ATVs
- Ability to navigate using compass, maps, and GPS
- Data entry using MS Office products
Strong knowledge of bird and amphibian vocalizations may result in extension into fall 2018.
Accommodations & Schedule: Accommodations in the field (rustic camps), food, and travel to field sites will be provided. Applicants must provide their own accommodations in Edmonton during field preparation days and days off. Applicants can expect to spend long periods of time in the field and those with flexible schedules will be preferred.
Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org