Posted Date: Dec 22, 2017
Application Deadline: Jan 19, 2018
Working in the ABMI’s Information Centre, the Web Developer is responsible for undertaking the development and implementation of WildTrax programming needs.
WildTrax is a web portal for processing and analyzing data for remote cameras and autonomous recording units (ARUs) that will allow users to upload, process and export their processed image and acoustic data. To date, two platforms have been created to analyze remote camera images and audio recordings of bird song. Programming needs for WildTrax will include improving data (i.e. remote camera or Automated Recording Unit) analyses platforms, improving and expanding system functionality, implementing UI/UX design, and database improvements and management.
The position will be required to fulfill the following tasks:
- Implementation of unified UI/UX designs and patterns across all WildTrax platforms
- Development of a new web interface for tagging images from remote cameras. This will include:
- Customization of a third-party open-source app and integration with the existing website
- Development of different workflows for species identification depending on the type of a user
- Gamification of species identification experience
- Expansion and development of the central User Management System
- Integration of a single sign-on solution across all platforms
- Implementation of additional user management features (groups, password recovery, etc.)
- Data download expansion
- Expand, develop, integrate, and manage the content management system for WildTrax
- Integration of WildTrax with other ABMI platforms
- Implement newly developed logic related to automated image tagging and sounds classification
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline, , or an equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered.
- Solid understanding of web application development and its best practices (security, usability, API design, etc.)
- Adequate knowledge of relational database systems (PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server is a plus)
- Experience in back end development with Java/Spring framework; familiarity with Scala/Play! framework is a plus
- Designing and implementing APIs, integration with third-party APIs
- Solid understanding of HTML5/CSS3 and responsive design (Bootstrap)
- Experience with content management systems such as Magnolia
- Experience with single sign-on and other authentication/authorization protocols (CAS, SAML, OAuth, etc.)
- Has experience working in a team environment
- Has an eagerness and willingness to learn
This is a contract position for six months, 40 hours/week, with a possibility for renewal.
Compensation: $62,000-85,000 per annum
Please send your application to Corrina Copp (email@example.com) by January 19, 2018. In your email subject please reference ‘Web Developer’.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.