Director, Science Centre
Posted Date: Dec 6, 2017
Application Deadline: as soon as possible
Alberta Innovates is a provincially-funded Corporation tasked with delivering on the Jobs Plan and research and innovation priorities of the Government of Alberta. InnoTech Alberta (ITA) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Alberta Innovates. Great ideas and technologies created by Albertans need the best innovation support system we can deliver. All under one roof, innovators, businesses and researchers can now easily tap into our collective assets – cross sectoral knowledge and expertise, funding, networks and research facilities.
Research and innovation that leads to economic diversification, enhanced environmental performance and social well-being is a priority for the Alberta Government. Our province is blessed with abundant natural resources, world-class infrastructure and research institutions, a highly skilled workforce, and a dynamic, entrepreneurial business community. Alberta Innovates, along with InnoTech Alberta, harnesses these strengths by acting as the catalyst between government, industry and academia, to solve some of the biggest challenges facing our province.
The Ecosystems and Plant Sciences Functional Group works with industry and government to develop, test and deploy new technologies and processes that help build commerce in Alberta while reducing environmental impacts.
We are seeking a senior level Researcher to co-direct the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute (ABMI) Science Centre. The Science Centre is central to the partnership and contract between InnoTech Alberta and ABMI Monitoring Centre activities. The Incumbent will be responsible for assisting the ABMI Management Team with the delivery of the ABMI program, plus facilitation of ITA and ABMI collaborative research initiatives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Financial Management of a combined budget of approximately $1M
• Manage R&D budgets
• Engage with ABMI academic collaborators
• Develop collaborative ABMI/ITA research efforts
• Manage 4 ABMI staff, plus 2 contractors at ABMI
• Manage and maintain science excellence for all aspects of ABMI
• Plan and develop projects, create work plans for science staff and contractors
• Ensure research deliverables are achieved
• Integrate academic research with ABMI needs
• Develop and administer grants
• Market projects to gain funding
Education & Experience
Minimum of an M.Sc. in a relevant discipline (Environmental Sciences or Natural Resources)
• PhD is preferred; extended work experience may be substituted for educational credentials if appropriate.
• 10 years of experience in a related discipline.
• Excellent problem-solving ability.
• Ability to coach and mentor junior staff.
• Ability to write technical reports and proposals.
• Demonstrated project management (including budgeting skills).
• Strong interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written.
InnoTech Alberta offers a competitive salary and benefits package in addition to opportunities for personal and professional achievement. Final candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance. For more information on this exciting opportunity,visit Competition
#INAB-017 at http://www.albertainnovates.ca/careers. When applying, please submit your resume in a Microsoft Word compatible format. All interviewees must be able to meet the requirement specified in the Physical Demand Analysis. This document will be supplied during the interview process to the successful candidate(s).This competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
INNOTECH ALBERTA IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EQUITY IN EMPLOYMENT AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM ALL QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS. WE WISH TO THANK ALL APPLICANTS FOR THEIR INTEREST. HOWEVER, ONLY THOSE INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.