Who We Are
Since its inception, the ABMI program and its development have been guided by a strong Vision of the ABMI’s role in Alberta’s society. This vision is embodied in a Mission that drives our current operations; furthermore, all ABMI activities are guided by a series of Operating Principles. Finally, the ABMI’s organizational culture is articulated in a list of Values that reflect who we are and how we interact with others.
The ABMI is a leader in biodiversity monitoring; our program stands as a model to other jurisdictions. Our products and services are integral to responsible resource management and land stewardship in Alberta, now and into the future. And, our work serves to enrich Albertans’ appreciation of our shared natural heritage.
We track changes in Alberta’s wildlife and their habitats from border to border, and provide ongoing, relevant, scientifically credible information on Alberta’s living resources. For Alberta’s land-use decision makers. For Albertans.
Our Operating Principles
We pride ourselves on being:
- Independent: We operate at arm’s length from government and industry; our information is objective and presented without bias.
- Scientifically credible: Our program is validated through peer review and by an international panel of experts.
- Relevant and Accessible: We develop information products to meet stakeholder needs; all information is publicly available and easily understood.
- Transparent: Our governance and operations are open to scrutiny, to promote engagement and accountability.
- Leadership: We seek to motivate and enable others (organizations and individuals) to amplify responsible resource management in Alberta.
- Accuracy: Our work is done with care and precision.
- Ingenuity: Our new ideas fuel better products, services and processes.
- Passion: We care deeply about our work and the impact it has on Alberta.
- Personal Initiative: We value initiative and each individual’s contribution to the shared success of the organization.
- Teamwork: We listen to, respect and work cooperatively with each other.
- Personal Development: Learning, feedback, coaching and mentoring are core to our team.